Advert

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Starring: Jahborne in Monkey Business


Jahborne Piqanto

Jahborne is not new to the Nigerian music industry as the boss of Music Factory Entertainment has had his fair share of hit tracks such as ‘Carry Go’, ‘Egbami’ and is on the verge of releasing his fourth album, Monkey Business on 11/11/11 . “The album contains songs like Na So We Go Dey; which is sequel to ‘Maga’, ‘Thank God’, ‘Plenty Money’ featuring Ujayz and ‘Blackberry Video’ featuring R&B sensation Muno, among others and will be released in December under a joint arrangement between Music Factory Entertainment and Roll-A-Dice Records, UK.”

The Piquanto artiste; a blend of hip hop, dancehall and pop whose real name is Arinze Derek Obinna Iheme hails from Oguta Local Government Area, Imo State. He was born, brought up and schooled in Isolo, Lagos State. “I used to be known Nasty Jay but I changed to Jahborne when Nas released his album ‘God’s Son’.”

“I started doing music in Primary school with my church band, Assemblies of God Church, Isolo. It was due to the fact that my mum was the choir mistress before she became the pastor and she was a great influence in me wanting to do music. We released an album then, which did well at the time. In my family we all play musical instruments.”
He started music production as early as 1999. “I got keen on doing music for pleasure because it was what I enjoyed. I didn’t really venture into it as a profession. At the time I could sample and score music; I started out as a producer like Dr. Dre and not an artist like Michael Jackson; who were both influential in me doing music alongside Red Rat, Nas and Born Jamericans. So I can generally say that music is my calling.”

In 2003 he released his 1st Album ‘Carry Go’ which had hits like ‘Carry Go’ itself and ‘We Dey Face Wahala for Naija’ featuring Black Face. “I was a hip hop act looking for a marketer and I found one who had marketed for Daddy Showkey; he wanted me to a commercial song for exposure because hip hop wasn’t selling much then at the time and the reigning artistes were Plantashun Boiz and Remedies, so the dissatisfaction was excruciating.  So I called up Marvelous Benjy, and we did the track ‘Carry Go’ and it got good airplay. It was a Galala-Konto kind of song so I didn’t really like the song, but as we had it the song promoted itself.”


His second album titled ‘2nd Round’ was released in 2005. Following that he was recognized in the Gbedu awards and he bagged the best promising artiste in 2006 and 2007. His third album ‘Money’ was released in 2009 and by the eleventh of the eleventh month of 2011 he’ll be releasing his fourth album titled ‘Monkey Business’ which basically means that he really means serious business.

Speaking on the controversial track ‘Maga’ which was supposed to be in his 4th album, he made it clear that it was a song criticizing bad governance. “Most Nigerians always listen to the beat and chorus of a song instead of the message. I replied to that song because the artistes involved didn’t do the song for free.  They were paid to spread a message by The Microsoft Internet Safety, Security and Privacy Initiative for Nigeria (MISSPIN), and it was a good one but with respect to them they forgot to fight for the cause by providing a solution to it. Even some Nigerians misunderstood the message of the song. If there are jobs and equal rights in Nigeria, I don’t see why youths wouldn’t continue ‘Yahoo’. I wasn’t encouraging cybercrimes but criticized it. The video which I shot for the video better explained the song itself. Even the artistes whom I called their names Banky W and M.I got the point that I was trying to bring up. So I don’t see any controversy in the song, at least during the April election polls, ‘Maga’ was a theme song for most of the TV and radio stations.”

The album listening party will hold at Victoria Island, Leila’s place in Ire-Akari, and other parts of the country like the east, Warri and Port Harcourt. The fun will later shift to Birmingham, Manchester and London in the UK. Then the final tour will take place in New York City, USA. “Right now I want to start organizing events and shows. Create a major record label, a brand on its own, that cares about the welfare of its artistes unlike some that use the artiste to make lots of money and later dump the artiste.”

Jahborne Piqanto
When asked about the relationship between him and fellow artiste Black Solo, the artiste replied, “Black Solo is like a brother to me. Because apart from music, we do business together, we do some exportation and importation.” The future really looks bright for Jahborne Piquanto.


Enjoy the latest video from Jahborne Piqanto - 'Plenty Money'




No comments:

Post a Comment