Advert

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Music Industry is so Frustrating – A-Q

A-Q

Rap artist Gilbert Ubani also known as A-Q was recognized in the Naija music scene when he only made an observation in his track ‘Names’ when he rapped 'we don't say autotune, we say Jesse Jagz track. We don't say whack, we say Ruggedman's back'.
A-Q has been into hip-hop music since a very tender age of 10. “I used to mime the lyrics of other artistes by completing their songs with mine. By the time I was 12 years old my friend at the time encouraged me by telling me that my lyrics were far more better than the original ones in the songs, so since then I built a lot of self-confidence in myself that I was meant for Hip Hop”.
My late brother was a painter, so it wasn’t weird when I did music this shows that in my family we were artistic. At the time my parents weren’t in support of me doing music, but gradually as Nigerian music changed, they encouraged me but told me to get my Bsc first before anything. So after I finished secondary school in Kings College, I got into UNILAG and got my Bsc in Zoology.
“A lot of artistes inspired me while I little, such as NWA, Big Daddy Kane, Notorious BIG, Jay Z, Nas and Tupac Shakur. But as I grew in music I became my own inspiration. I also love Tiwa Savage; she does good music.”
Maintaining his eyes on the ball, A-Q has done a lot of collaborations with acts like Pherowshuz, Terry Tha Rapman, Iceberg Slim, Mode 9, Base One, Vector, Morachi, M Trill, X_O Senavoe, amongst others, but claims he prefers working with upcoming acts because they put in their all in the track expecting a brakthrough and it is his own way of assistance to them.
Opening up to me, A-Q explained that his goal is to be on top of a 12-storey building that has a hand in the entertainment industry such as fashion, radio, music, television, events and help build talents.
A-Q who is currently signed to Hustle Inc, last year released his official debut album titled 'The Past, Present and Future' which was a 17 tracker album featuring Terry Tha Rapman, Iceberg Slim, Xtrim, Retta, Pherowshuz, Lace and parading exceptional line up of producers - Ray X, E Twinz, XYZ, Phatboy and Laylow.
"The album was a proper mix of hip-hop", A-Q describes the album in sentence. The Past, Present and Future balances as an album with tracks to appeal to every kind of hip-hop fan. I’m currently promoting two tracks from my upcoming mixtape, ‘Groovement featuring Sammy’ and ‘Ginjah’ featuring Base One, Terry Tha Rapman, X_O Senavoe and Vector ", A-Q said.
A-Q had an advice for upcoming acts; he said they should endure with patience. “The music industry for an upcoming act is so frustrating, but the frustration fuels my zeal to be stronger in music. But we keep hoping on God for our breakthrough.”
  

No comments:

Post a Comment