Advert

Monday, September 26, 2011

Meet XBlaze…

Xblaze
XBlaze, who is the brother of award-winning Gospel artiste Nikki Laoye and the producer who produced Rap sensation Base One to recognition, is one of the fast rising music producers in the country. Currently enjoying the hype in various works he has done making waves in radio stations, clubs, he spoke with Precious Ahante on his plans and other issues.

Yourself and music   


I’m XBlaze, but my real name is Ade Laoye. I’m a native of Ede, Osun State but I grew up in Ago-Okota, Lagos. I’m from a family of 4, three boys and a girl and I’m the last-born of the family. An undergraduate of Business Administration, University of Lagos. C.E.O of Rocksteady’86 Productions; my studio. I don’t like trouble, I like been indoors, watching cartoons, movies, playing video games and creating beats which I’m good at. I would say my family inspired me to go into music, my sister sings so also my brothers. As a child I was eager to be a music producer, seriously when I was little and I took it I played drums, beat boxes, before I got a system where I started learning the fruity loops, that was about 2004. When I’m at home, any beat comes to me whenever I’m doing my chores. I grew up listening to productions of Petrock, Dr. Dre, DJ Premier, 9th Wonder and Q-Tip. Q-Tip is one of my favorite rappers of all time, while Petrock was my main influence in learning how to produce. Apart from producing, I’m also a hip-hop artiste. Music is my life and I can’t do without it, so that’s just it.

Artistes that you’ve worked with


I’ve worked with Modenine in a Rap song ‘Music Lives’, Blaise, my sister Nikki Laoye ‘Taka Sufe’ with the Rooftop Mc’s; which won several awards including best gospel video at the Nigerian Music Video Awards (NMVA), Base One ‘Werey’ and ‘Surulere’, Kidpresh ‘Omoge’, Presh P ‘Make Me High’, among a host of others too numerous to mention. I’ve also worked with some foreign artistes such as, Azon Blaze from North Carolina, M. Smile from Florida, Verb from Arizona, all from the USA.

Your relationship with Base One

Well…it was back in 2006 at school; then Base One used to play cards at the back of the class, I strongly advised him about it and discovered that he was a fantastic emcee, then I decided to work with him on the condition he left the habit of playing cards which he immediately did and I thank God for that.

Challenges as a producer


Recording and producing isn’t quite easy because you have to consider the style that the artiste is using. X-Blaze cannot produce Fuji, juju or apala, I can’t connect with such artiste but when it comes to any other genres of music, I can produce. Some people believe that the kind of software the producer uses is also a setback, for example I use ‘Fruity Loops’, which some people believe to be outdated and consider ‘Reason’ which most producers use nowadays, but it’s a capital lie, it’s the man behind the machine not the other way round.

Favourite song(s)


I have a lot but I’ll say ‘Kush’ by Dr. Dre, ‘Werey’ by the Big B himself; Base One, this song drives me crazy. I also love the productions of American producer, Lex Luger.

Motivation

My brother it’s God oh! And the fact that I got to make everybody accept me, its like a mission, if I don’t achieve it I won’t be at peace with myself. As a matter of fact I would probably be dead. In life we all need music to survive, quote me anybody who says that they don’t listen to music is as good as dead because in sports we have music that is the anthems which the teams involved use, in movies there is music, jingles for politicians, when we drive, adverts, name it, everything in our lives involves music.

Admirers in the music industry

I admire so much is Modenine. I also admire Don Jazzy.

Charity

Yeah of course, as a matter of fact I’ve had this thing in me as a child that when I grow older and get married I’m going to do a lot for children from the motherless babies home. I’ll love to do more for charity, really.

If you have children will you allow them to go into singing?


That’s a good one bro a strong one. This music…you know it’s deeper than what a lot of people think it’s even deeper than what a lot of people think its even deeper than I myself thought it was. I might not want my kids to go into it but a lot of times its better that way because it helps you know a little about life. If you have everything on a platter of gold, you’ll not respect. But if you work for everything you own, it’s a different ball game, you’ll know how to save, how to manage and you will and have respect. If they want to sing no problem but I prefer them playing musical instruments, but if they are really keen on singing I’ll even use my connections to set them on the right path.

Your next move

With the help of God, fellow Nigerians & the press, I’ll be releasing my upcoming album titled ‘Omega-X’. It’s going to be Dirty Southern Hip Hop; it’s going to be the bomb.

Hangout

I hangout with my friends, tweeting @TheRealXblaze, facebook-ing at Xblaze Heatnix, but most times in my living room watching movies and cartoons.

Here are some of his songs. Enjoy

Boom Bap
Hustle Everyday

No comments:

Post a Comment